Find an LGBTQ Sensitive Healthcare Provider
There are many important things to consider when choosing a healthcare provider including finding a provider that matches your needs is one of the most important aspects of finding a healthcare provider. Possibly the most important aspect of finding a healthcare provider is finding one with whom you are comfortable. The following is a list of considerations in choosing a new practitioner:
- What type of provider are you looking for: a medical doctor, a doctor of osteopathic medicine, a nurse practitioner, or a practitioner of alternative medicine?
- Do you have a gender preference for your practitioner?
- Do you want a large practice where you see many different providers, or do you want a small practice where you would one see one or two?
- Do you want a practice with hospital affiliation?
- Does your provider have experience with the health concerns of LGBT populations?
- Does your provider have experience with the health concerns of people of color?
- Does your provider know about non-medical services such as mental-health or social services?
- Is your provider responsive to your questions?
- Do you want a provider who asks you a lot of questions?
- Are there any LGBT or people of color working in your provider's office?
- Are there any people who are bilingual working in your provider's office?
- What insurance programs does your provider accept, and do they have a flexible payment plan?
- How does your provider maintain patient confidentiality?
- Is your provider willing to work with your other health care providers? (This is important, if you choose to see alternative healthcare providers such as an acupuncturist or a massage therapist.)
- Do you know your rights as a patient?